- Views 1927
KOHIMA, May 28 (NEPS): The Chief Electoral Officer, Nagaland, Sanjay Kumar IAS in a press release stated that the Election Commission of India vide their Letter NO.23/1/2015 (NERPAP)-ERS date 22.05.2015 has issued clarifications on collection of Aadhaar number from the applicants as follows;-
- Furnishing of Aadhaai number is not mandatory; it is only optional and may be furnished voluntarily, as clarified by the Hon’ble Supreme Court.
- No electoral service will be denied to any elector on the ground of non-furnishing of Aadhaar number.
- Non-furnishing of Aadhaar number will not be a ground for rejection of application for new enrolment/objection against an application for new enrolment.
- Similarly, non-furnishing of Aadhaar number will not be a ground for deletion of name of an existing elector from Electoral roll.
- Collection of Aadhaar number is only for the purpose of authentication of details of electors and confidentiality and security of data must be ensured during the process of feeding and seeding.
- Aadhaar number of an elector shall not be displayed/reflected in electoral roll or EPIC or voter slips or shown in digitized form on website for public scrutiny or in any other document of the Commission, shareable with public or put in public domain. It must be ensured that Aadhaar database is not misused under any condition.